Source: The Shields Gazette
Date of publication: July 2010
Publication type: News story
In a nutshell: South Tyneside District Hospital’s falls procedures were described as ‘flawed’ following the death of a cancer patient who sustained a serious head injury after falling in the shower. The 85 year old patient was considered at low risk of falling, and was left unsupervised whilst showering for 15 – 25 minutes during which time she fell. The cause of death was attributed to bronchial pneumonia and a brain haemorrhage due to falling.
Length of publication: 1 web page